© 2014 Kebba Buckley Button. World Rights Reserved.
We are now on the 28th day of the Season for NonViolence (SNV), a program created by the Association for Global New Thought, or AGNT. The program is now in its 17th year. If the program were called “Season for Peacemaking”, more people might imagine we are inviting them to make signs and meet a group in the Capitol area, then demonstrate or march. Far from that concept, most peacemaking involves “being the peace you want to see”, a concept introduced by Mahatma Gandhi. So how do we BE the peace we want to see? We do the inner work, creating peace within. Then we can only vibrate peace, breathe peace, relate with peace, listen with peace, respond from peace.
Here is AGNT’s contemplation for today:
DAY 28 Feb. 26: The thought for today is LISTENING. Can you stop what you are doing and thinking, and take time to truly listen to the feelings behind someone’s words to you? Being fully present for the conversation and interested in what that person is saying is a practice of nonviolence.
A component of Marshall Rosenberg’s “Nonviolent Communication” involves listening with compassion. The listener attends fully to the speaker’s words, while sensing the feelings and needs beneath the words. The listener is simply fully present, not trying to “figure out” what the speaker is needing, nor trying to “get it right.” If I can listen to you with compassion, it is usually only a short time before you listen with compassion to me.
Today: I will be fully present to each conversation I engage in, and listen longer than usual – and with more patience – to what others are saying. I will give the other person my full attention, because nothing else really matters. I will look directly at the person who is speaking, without thinking about other things.
● Kebba Buckley Button is the author of the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition). It’s a book to keep with you constantly, to quickly recharge your Peace Within, with quotes, photos, and poems that take you directly there! Kebba is a corporate stress management trainer, and she also has a holistic healing practice.
● Liked this article? Why not buy Kebba’s books? Just click the links!
- Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition) (http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc)
- Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br).
● Enjoyed this post? Please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma.
● Please leave a comment!