© 2014 Kebba Buckley Button. World Rights Reserved.
Greetings, peace lovers! We have made it to Day 35 of AGNT’s Season for NonViolence. This is that 64-day period of each year when we consider the qualities we can nurture, to BE the peace we want to see. Today we consider UNDERSTANDING. The Bible has a number of comments about understanding. Most of them urge us to really focus on wisdom that may come from others, and to do our best to understand, to discern and digest what we don’t already know. Prov. 2:2 specifically urges us to listen carefully with our ears and open our hearts—our emotions—to allow understanding in. When we allow understanding into our hearts, it can become compassion. And when we experience compassion toward others, we can only express peacefully toward others.
“Pay attention in order to gain understanding.”
–Prov 4:1 (International Standard Version)
“Make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding.”
–Prov 2:2 (New American Standard Bible)
DAY 35 Mar. 5: The thought for today is UNDERSTANDING. Thich Nhat Hanh, Buddhist teacher says:
“When you understand, you cannot help but love. Practice looking at all living beings with the eyes of compassion.”
Today: When I find myself disagreeing with someone, I will focus on understanding what they are saying – and why. I will listen compassionately to them, with a silent thought of love, and tell them what I understand them to be saying. With empathy, I will say clearly and quietly what I believe to be true.
● Kebba Buckley Button is the author of the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition). It’s a book to keep with you constantly, to quickly recharge your Peace Within, with quotes, photos, and poems that take you directly there! Kebba is a corporate stress management trainer, and she also has a holistic healing practice.
● Liked this article? Why not buy Kebba’s books? Just click the links!
- Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition) (http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc)
- Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br).
● Enjoyed this post? Please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma.
● Please leave a comment!