© 2014 Kebba Buckley Button. World Rights Reserved.
Today, we consider the quality of DISARMAMENT. I first heard this word years ago, together with the word “nuclear”. The USA and Russia were working on a nuclear disarmament pact. Many of us began to imagine what life would be like if there simply were no threat of any country unleashing a nuclear weapon on any party anywhere on the Planet. The Planet is simply too small for a nuclear weapon discharge not to affect the lives and wellness of everyone.
I live in a huge city–Phoenix– with huge mountain parks. In the largest park, twenty square miles and little-patrolled, there is often handgun activity in which someone is injured or killed. Years ago, when there was less of this activity, the idea of carrying a gun into the park was rare. A friend of mine met me for a hike there one day, with a gun holstered inside his jacket. I skipped the hike. What if everyone entering the park just left the guns outside the park?
The Peace One Day organization was founded by Jeremy Gilley. This organization influenced the United Nations in unanimously voting for an International Day of Peace, in which no weapons are fired: a day of complete ceasefire. This day is celebrated every day on September 21. It allows humanitarian organizations to surge medical and food assistance into wartorn areas without fear of being bombed or shot. Even the Taliban has been cooperating with this extraordinary timeout. In Phoenix, we celebrate this day at the Franciscan Renewal Center, with a Peace Award, meals, sacred dances, an interfaith prayer service, an aerial photo of a word like “PEACE”, and often a concert.
How would you feel about disarmament? When you imagine it, what is the World like? Here is AGNT’s meditation for SNV Day 47:
DAY 47 Mar. 17: The thought for today is DISARMAMENT. What if we lived in a world where there were no weapons? What if we used the resources for developing weapons for other projects? What if we really did beat swords into plowshares? Imagine such a world for yourself and your family, because until be believe it is possible, it cannot become a reality. Peace and nonviolence, does, and must, begin with each and every one of us.
Today: I will have a conversation with someone today about what the world would be like if there were no weapons, nor any need for them. I will define new uses for the resources freed-up by not developing weapons.
● Kebba Buckley Button is the author of the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition). It’s a book to keep with you constantly, to quickly recharge your Peace Within, with quotes, photos, and poems that take you directly there! Kebba is a corporate stress management trainer, and she also has a holistic healing practice.
● Liked this article? Why not buy Kebba’s books? Just click the links!
- Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition) (http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc)
- Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br).
● Enjoyed this post? Please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma.
● Please leave a comment!