© 2014 Kebba Buckley Button. World Rights Reserved.
For those of us who love peace, we love to be surrounded by peaceful people who build healthy and happy relationships. We may go for weeks without experiencing any emotional or physical violence. We may then be surprised and even angry, when someone is rude or unkind. Reading a news article about an incident of personal violence, we may become enraged. How dare they? How can people be that way, when we have worked so hard to build peace and harmony and love in organizations and countries? The anger seems both real and justified. But we need to be both philosophical and patient. We need to be in MASTERY over anger, even righteous anger.
Here is AGNT’s meditation for Day 45:
DAY 45 Mar. 15: The thought for today is MASTERY. Labor organizer, Cesar Chavez taught “If you use violence you have to sell part of yourself for that violence. Then you are no longer a master of your own struggle.” To practice nonviolence you must learn to master your anger. Breathe deeply, silently counting backwards from ten to calm yourself and cool off before you speak or act with impatience or anger.
“We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough.”
This should not be surprising. After all, to attain excellence in anything we have to work at it. An Olympic swimming champion doesn’t go for a workout once a week on Sunday afternoon, but practices for hours every day. The impetus to gain mastery over one’s mind and senses does not come from some Olympian height, or from a distant deity; it doesn’t come from any monastic rule, or even from one’s spiritual teacher. It comes from deep within yourself. You have had a fleeting glimpse of the shining presence within, and in its bright remembered light, all your flaws and blemishes are thrown into sharp relief. You can’t wait to start removing them.
Today: When I think of something or get into a situation where anger comes up, I will acknowledge the anger then breathe deeply, silently counting backwards from ten, and then decide what action to take. Mastery of nonviolence will come as I continue to practice.
● Kebba Buckley Button is the author of the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition). It’s a book to keep with you constantly, to quickly recharge your Peace Within, with quotes, photos, and poems that take you directly there! Kebba is a corporate stress management trainer, and she also has a holistic healing practice.
● Liked this article? Why not buy Kebba’s books? Just click the links!
- Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core (Second Edition) (http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc)
- Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br).
● Enjoyed this post? Please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma.
● Please leave a comment!